April 3, 2009

Seedlings  

0 comments

Its been an exciting and fear filled start to the year as Kind Organics has no official home and while we are still looking for a farm we needed to start some of our seeds so as not to be too late for the season. With the help of my dad and the kind extension of my sister and brother in-law's place we erected this small greenhouse. I bought the greenhouse off of Craigslist for $200, its a 6'x8' that could be purchased from Home Depot new for about $800, we put a small space heater in there to keep the plants from freezing at night. We have had -5C temperatures a number of nights in a row here in Toronto. Planting began in mid march, but there is still lots more seeds to germinate for this year. I just got the order I had placed with West Coast Seeds (from Vancouver). I have not ordered from them before but they have a few rare heirloom varieties of tomatoes that I just couldn't resist. The delivery came almost a month after placing the order, not sure that I will be ordering from them again, unless the results are exceptional in which case it was worth the wait.

What next?

You can also bookmark this post using your favorite bookmarking service:

Related Posts by Categories



0 comments: to “ Seedlings